GOVERNING BODY MINUTES – SPRING TERM 2014 (6 March 2014)

NEVILL ROAD JUNIOR SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY MINUTES

SPRING TERM 2014

Date: 6 March 2014
Time: 7.00 pm
Venue: The School

GOVERNORS PRESENT

Cllr L Weekes-Holt (Authority Governor), Miss L Perry, Mr G Madeley, Mrs H Walters, Mr M Bush, (Parent Governors), Miss S Harrison (Headteacher), Miss C Roberts, Mrs S Kyne (Staff Governors), Ms J Bell, Mrs A Carolan (Chair), Mr R Reece, Mrs S Kreitzman (Community Governors).

IN ATTENDANCE

Mrs N Jordan – Deputy Head
Ms C Higson – Governor Support Officer

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received and accepted from Mrs Pauline Banham, Helen Foster-Grime.

2. ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIR

It was noted that, Mr Richard Reece, had declared an interest in the position of Vice-Chairperson prior to the meeting:

Additional nominations/expressions of interest were invited by the Chair. There were no further candidates.

It was proposed by, Mrs Alison Carolan, seconded by, Ms Janet Bell, and unanimously RESOLVED – that, Mr Richard Reece, be elected Vice-Chairperson for the agreed term.

3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Governors were asked to declare a personal interest in any agenda items; there were no declarations of interest.

4. (i) PREVIOUS GOVERNING BODY MINUTES

RESOLVED – that the minutes of the meeting held on 6 November 2013, copies circulated previously, be approved and signed by the Chairperson and authorised for publication.

(ii) MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS GOVERNING BODY MINUTES

The actions raised at the summer term meeting were duly reviewed as follows:

  • 6. (i) Chair to arrange a meeting to go through this Schools Finance consultation item with the Head and MB  – Head and MB went through this and the Head submitted.
  • 8. (ii) Development Governor to update Governor visit document to list ‘feedback’ arrangements and protocol – outstanding ACTION
  • 8. (iii) Chair to arrange a ‘succession planning’ meeting with all Governors and add this item to the spring term agenda – completed.
  • 9. Vice-Chair position to be re-viewed in the spring term. Add to spring term agenda – completed.
  • 12. (ii) Head to include PPF figures in her next Governor report – completed.
  • 12. (ii) Head to arrange a meeting with GM, Chair, Head and IT provider re: IT requirements – completed.
  • 13. H&S link Governor (SK) and Head to meet – outstanding ACTION
  • 13. Marketing working party to meet to discuss 2 points from the summer term action list relating to item 16 – going through the Joint Committee.
  • 14. (i) Committees to review terms of reference – completed.
  • 14. (v) Development Governor to update code of practice as per discussions – outstanding. ACTION
  • 14. (vi) Head to obtain business interests forms for all absent Governors – completed
  • 15. (iii) Clerk to send example parent election pack to Development Governor who will create a new election pack to be used for the recruitment of a Parent Governor – completed, JB is meeting with PD to re-write the pack.  – Clerk to re-send pack to Head. ACTION
  • 15. (iv) Reconstitution – HW to look into this item – agreed not to pursue.
  • 15. (v) Chair to send a letter to parents regarding the parents survey results – completed.
  • 15. (v) Head to undertake school dinner survey with the children and to discuss results of parent survey with the school dinner provider – outstanding.

The Chair wished to highlight point 6. (ii) on page 3 re: notification of consultation on admission arrangements for 2015/16 explaining that was not discussed at the Pupil Progress meeting, but that  this consultation has now closed.

The Chair also wished to note that point 8. (ii), Governing body development plan, the three vacancy subject areas were now filled, as follows:

  • Maths – Mrs Alison Carolan
  • Transition from year 2 to year 3 – Mrs Helen Waters
  • Healthy eating – Ms Janet Bell

There were no other matters arising.

5. (i) PREVIOUS COMMITTEE MINUTES

RESOLVED – that the minutes of the following meetings;

  • Resources Committee – 10 February 2013
  • Pupil Progress Committee – 13 February 2013
  • Joint Committee – 11 December 2013

Copies circulated previously, be approved and signed by the Chairperson and authorised for publication.

(ii) MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS COMMITTEE MINUTES

The Chair informed Governors that the school SIP, Mr Clive Taylor, will undertake a mock inspection with the school.  Governors will be informed once a date has been set.

Mrs L Weekes-Holt joined the meeting at 7.23 pm

There were no other matters arising.

6. HEADTEACHER’S TERMLY REPORT

The Headteacher’s report had been circulated to Governors prior to the meeting and questions from Governors had been invited prior to the meeting:

Governors wished to note that the report was very comprehensive.

The Head talked through the Key Stage 2 achievements and explained that this information had been sent in a separate document prior to the meeting.

A Governor queried the year 5 data and the Headteacher explained the scrutiny that she had undertaken for this cohort.  Does the school have a process to deal with long term absences with regard to planning and the Head explained how the planning has been undertaken and which teachers are working together to cover.  There was a further discussion and the Head confirmed that she has completed APP sheets in all the children’s books for this cohort. Other staffing issues were discussed and stability in year 4 was confirmed.

Unauthorised absences were queried in light of the recent changes, and a Governor asked if this has had an impact?  The Head confirmed that there are fewer incidents.  The Head further explained the 100% attendance certificates that are awarded and how positively the children respond to this.  The Head informed Governors that she also scrutinises the absence data and responds accordingly. Are there any children who are regularly off school?  The Head explained these incidents and how this was dealt with which has impacted on improved attendance levels.

Pupil Premium Funding

A Governor asked if this funding has been used to reduce class sizes in year 5 and what the impact of this was? The Head confirmed that this was the case adding that this has impacted on the year 5 APS scores.  The Head explained that the school are planning to share the Pupil Premium Funding information data reporting method that is currently used by the infant school.  Governors were informed that this shows drilled down information about intervention, funding and impact on children. The individual targets of Pupil Premium Funded children was further explained to Governors.  It was agreed that an overview document will be provided for Governors at the next meeting.   It was stressed that all teachers need to know who the Pupil Premium Funded children are and it was explained that teachers now do know this information.

It was reported that policies will be reviewed in the next term.

The Headteacher was thanked for her comprehensive report and there not being any further questions it was RESOLVED that the Headteacher’s report be received.

7. UPDATE ON STATUTORY ITEMS

(i) Performance Management Update (Head and Staff)

Governors were advised that the Headteacher’s performance targets had been set in conjunction with the School Improvement Partner at a meeting held last term.

The Headteacher updated Governors on the Performance Management cycle and asked that they noted the progress in school

(ii) Report on Racist Incidents (Autumn 2013)

The Headteacher reported that there had been no racist incidents during the autumn term; the Clerk provided a nil return form, which was completed and signed by the Headteacher and Chairperson. The Clerk then undertook to return the form to the appropriate section within Services to People at the LA.

(iii) Report on Incidents of Physical Intervention (Autumn 2013)

The Headteacher reported that there had been no incidents during the autumn term where the use of physical intervention procedures had been necessary.

8. MONITORING OF THE SCHOOL BUDGET

(i) Budget Update

The School Business Manager outlined the Budget Plan and explained the various allocations to budget headings. It was noted that the budget was proceeding according to plan and on track to remain within allocation. It was also noted that the Resources Committee had considered and agreed the budget. It was advised that the Budget Plan was continually updated throughout the financial year as income had to be recorded and allocated a budget heading.

(ii) Service Level Agreements for 2014

Governors were asked to consider the various service level agreements and respond to the Local Authority by the 31st March 2014.

There was a discussion regarding the cleaning contract and in particular, that issues had been raised previously with this provider.  It was reported that no improvements have been made since this December 2013 meeting with the cleaning provider. After further discussion it was AGREED to serve notice on the current provider and to research potential new cleaning options.

(iii) Approval of Provisional Budget 2014/2015

The budget would be produced and approved following receipt of the draft budget from the Local Authority.  This has been done.

9. GOVERNOR DEVELOPMENT

(ii) To Consider the Development Needs of the Governing Body

Governors were encouraged to attend training courses made available by the Schools Governance Service. The training booklet was highlighted and governors were asked to inform the Development Governor of any courses they were planning to attend this term.

(ii) Stockport Governor Conference

Governors were informed of the Stockport Governor Conference, ‘The Future of Education’ that will be held at Marple Hall School on Saturday 29th March 2014.  Governors noted that registration is now open through the GOVAS website, www.govas.org.uk or the Learning Leads website www.learningleads.org.uk or by email to yvonne.mellor@stockport.gov.uk or by telephone on 0161 474 3912.

10. BRIEFING PAPERS FROM STOCKPORT LOCAL AUTHORITY

Governors were referred to the reports booklet circulated with the agenda papers.

(i) Health and Safety Update

Governors noted the information in this update relating to policies, training and policy and guidance updates accordingly.

(ii) Safeguarding Update

Governors were informed of the Safer Internet Day on 11 February 2014 with the theme ‘Let’s create a better internet together’.  This day is centered on promoting the safe and responsible use of online technology and mobile phones for children and young people.

Awareness raising sessions can be arranged via Tanya Cross and Julia Storey as detailed within this article.

(iii) Effective use of the Pupil Premium Funding

The self-review ‘questions for Governing Bodies’ section from this article was highlighted. These questions are aimed at raising governor knowledge and awareness of the effective use of the Pupil Premium funding within their school.   Governors were advised to consider the questions in detail and to add this item to the agenda of the sub-committees. ACTION

(iv) Introducing the Primary National Curriculum 2014

The content of this curriculum was announced in September 2013 and will be implemented in September 2014.  Governors were asked to note the key changes within this new curriculum as detailed in this article.  Support is available to schools regarding this change in curriculum from the LA and the range of support is listed.

Miss Lynn Perry, Senior School Improvement Adviser discussed the new curriculum in detail and it was reported that staff have attended available training for the new curriculum.

11. SAFEGUARDING

There was no further information to report with regard to Safeguarding. Although, a Governor wished to note that there is a slight change in the new Ofsted framework relating to safeguarding.

12. YOUNG CARERS

There was no further information to report with regard to Young Carers.

13. CORRESPONDENCE

There had been no correspondence received.

14. DATES

(i) Full Governing Body

Summer term 2014 meeting – Tuesday 22 July 2014 at 7.00 pm
Autumn term 2014 meeting – Thursday 20 November 2014 at 7.00 pm

(ii) Committee Meetings

Steering Committee – Thursday 8 May 2014 at 6.00 pm
Resources Committee – Monday 19 May 2014 at 6.00 pm
Pupil Progress Committee – Monday 14 July 2014 at 3.30 pm
Joint Committee – Tuesday 11 March 2014 at 8.00 am

15. TERMS OF OFFICE TO END 31 MARCH 2014

The meeting was informed that the following governor’s term of office will end on the 31st March 2014;

  • Mrs Alison Carolan – Community Governor
  • Ms Janet Bell – Community Governor

It was noted that they would both be eligible for re-appointment.

 Mrs Alison Carolan and Ms Janet Bell left the meeting at 20.25 pm

Community Governor Vacancies

Governors noted and discussed the individual merits of Mrs Alison Carolan and Ms Janet Bell prospective candidates for re-appointment to the Community Governor vacancies on the Governing Body.

A vote was taken and it was duly RESOLVED that Mrs Alison Carolan and Ms Janet Bell  be co-opted onto the Governing Body for a four year term of office with effect from 1st April 2014.

Mrs Alison Carolan and Ms Janet Bell returned to the meeting at 20.27 pm

16. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Inset days for 2014/2015

1 September 2014
2 September 2014
7 May 2015 – Polling station
27 July 2015
28 July 2015

Duly AGREED.

New Mobile Plans

The Chair explained that a meeting had been held with the architects and an open session with parents and neighbours is taking place on Tuesday 11 March 2014, 3-6 pm. Responses are being sent by the Head to the architects and then the architects will respond accordingly.  Transition plans were discussed from the Infants to the Juniors regarding a cohesive transition for children and staff and it was added that taking away the mobiles would affect these plans.  The Head agreed to discuss Governor suggestions for new mobiles further with the architect. Governors were also invited to attend the open session on 11 March 2014.

Website

Governors were informed that there is now a Governor area available on the school website. GM agreed to share passwords with Governors and he further explained that there are two sides to this part of the website; a public and a private section.  Up to date Governor photos and short pen portraits were requested to be sent to GM to add to the website, by Friday 14 March 2014. ACTION

Ofsted Framework

Governors were notified that there is a new Ofsted Framework dated January 2014.

There being no other business to discuss, the Chairperson thanked everyone for attending and the meeting closed at 8.45 pm.